In 2014, I began experimenting with the ancient art of storytelling and teamed up with Yorkshire-based storyteller Cath Heinemeyer and writer J.Y. Saville to produce fun and informative performances. The initial impetus was provided by York University’s Festival of Ideas and the exploration of a theme: Order & Chaos, Secrets & Discoveries, and Time. Whatever the topic, there are always fascinating stories to share and engage the imagination with.
A list of current projects can be found here. I have attempted a classification, but there are of course overlaps.
If you are interested in a collaboration or a performance, please contact me.
This February I am delighted to pursue my exploration of Norse mythology and Scandinavian stories by taking part in the 36th Jorvik Viking Festival. I am running two different storytelling evenings on 16th & 17th February 2020, both starting at 7pm and hosted at the Black Swan Inn in York.
- Smithies of the North, an evening of stories around smithies and mines blending Norse myths and folktales with travels yarns and snippets of history. Please book via eventbrite
- On Northern Seas, in line with the Festival’s Viking travel theme: an evening blending Norse myths, folktales and stories of journeys on the North Sea and beyond. Please book via eventbrite
(Details of storytelling at the York Festival of Ideas in June to be announced soon.)
- Wonder of Trees, Thursday 31st October 2019, 5-6pm, at the York Theatre Royal. This is part of the Take Over Festival.
- I told stories at the final event of the London Moon Festival, July 2019.
- The Wonder of Trees, in collaboration with Dr Amy-Jane Beer, York Festival of Ideas, York, UK, June 2019.
- Wonders of the Night Sky, York Festival of Ideas, York, UK, June 2019.
“We both THOROUGHLY enjoyed each talk by Alice Courvoisier, her story telling was wonderful and especially The Wonders of the Night Sky, she held us all in awe, (she can tell me stories any time) we were entranced!!!!”
- Tales from the North: Norse myths & folktales and photographic exhibition at the York Brewery, Wednesday 20th February 2019. This event is part of the Jorvik Viking Festival Fringe Programme.
- Conte-moi les arbres, Médiathèque de Lauzerte, France, Septembre 2018. Cette animation est en lien avec l’exposition de photographie à l’Espace Point de Vue.
- Teach the World to Sing – an afternoon arts festival, Friends Meeting House, Malton, UK, April 2018. Details on our Facebook event’s page.
- Deeds, not words, International Women’s Day Celebration, The York Brewery, York, UK, March 2018.
- From Ancient Egypt to Modern Britain, Tales of Women through space and time, with J.Y. Saville, Cath Heinemeyer & Guests, York International Women Festival, York, UK, March 2017.
- Secrets & discoveries, with J.Y. Saville, York Festival of Ideas, York, UK, June 2015.